TASCAM CC-222 Tick Sounds! Static Buildup?

April 18-19th (Tax Day) 2016
10:30 PM - 2:15 AM


Notice the difference in waveforms.  One is sampled from Deck 12, a TASCAM CC-222, now known to have "issues", and the other Deck 13, a TASCAM CC-222 MK III model.

See the "ticks" -- that's noise coming from the deck!  Ouch!

I wonder how long it would have taken to find that issue had I not been sampling visually.


Here the issue is more clearly seen when zoomed in on.


Fortunately Deck 15, a TASCAM CC-222 MK II model, is working okay.

When I first discovered the Deck 12 issue I was concerned Deck 15 too was producing tick noises but checking the samples again it appears to be clean.

Will need to watch for this issue on other decks also.

Possible that this Deck 12 issue is related to power noise leaking in but either way the deck needs to be serviced to be useful.

~~~

Added a "Tapes Played Since Head Cleaned" column.
Thinking of typing anything but a "zero" there is prompting me to clean the heads before every play.

~~~

Newer TASCAM Models

Did lots of research on newer TASCAM decks.

Checked out the great price National Audio Company has on their W890R (W-890RMKII-B):
http://nationalaudiocompany.com/TEAC-Double-Auto-Reverse-Cassette-Deck-P4396.aspx

Was surprised to see that the older 302 and 322 models have a sequential play mode -- and can be chained.  This means I could hook up like three decks per L/R channel set and potentially may be able digitize 24 tapes in one go!  Wow.  Each deck also has a mode where it will play tape A then tape B.  I think I have a CC-302 so I'll look for that and replace Deck 12 with that one.  In that case I'll see if I can do five tapes in a pass right now.  (Recording lots of blank space for the decks after the first 90 minutes for the decks without two wells.)

~~~

Need to buy a head demagnetizer.  I emailed Will asking if Winkie has one buried somewhere. It's the kind of think I'd expect him to have.  Only if I can find it would be great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Do List & Procedures

Era is Over: An End to Digitizing Media at YWAM Tyler and The Winkie Pratney Revival Library