The Trials of Older Audio Gear - CLICKS!

April 17 - 18, 2016
12:50 a.m.

Well, this is sad:



CLICKS and POPS!

Noticed this on Deck 12 and a bit on Deck 15.  Deck 12 is a CC-222 Tray Load -- an oldie, while #15 is MK II model.  But unlike the very clean MK III's used this deck is showing clicking.

I diagnosed by putting the same tape in the different decks and found this issue.

I could hear the clicking from the headphone jack right on the deck so it's not the A/D converter or downstream.  Normally I would have assumed this clicking or tick, snap, crackle sound was on the tape.  Now I know I need to listen for it and suspect it as a electronics problem not an analog issue.

Hopefully it's a bad cap.  I emailed TASCAM asking for help but I highly doubt that give that out for free. 

<sigh.>

Well, glad I caught it early.

Will have to re-do all the tapes ripped ("ripped"? - captured/sampled/played/digitized) from this deck.

Good to catch.  That's something that might be missed using just the previous tape-to-CD direct pathway.  

This reinforces the need to regularly test the quality (calibrate?) all the gear used.

And of course there's the issue of the wildly differing levels from left and right on something that was presumably mono originally.  Need to check, but I am suspecting that's a source issue. (-?!)  Maybe moot if I can't repair this deck.

Am super glad I logged the deck number used when digitizing on previous transfers.  I may need to go back and re-do all Deck 12 transfers.

-idea: need to check if plugging deck #12 into it's own noise power filter line might help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Do List & Procedures

Era is Over: An End to Digitizing Media at YWAM Tyler and The Winkie Pratney Revival Library